Spelling of Cladeck? Claddek?, a European dance technique of the 1950s

by Anonymous
(No location given)

How do you spell Cladeck? Claddek? This was a contemporary technique used in central Europe in the 1950s.

Comments for Spelling of Cladeck? Claddek?, a European dance technique of the 1950s

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 20, 2012
Answer from Maria
by: Maria

Dear visitor,

I do not know a European dance technique called like that. I've been searching and thinking about it and the only thing I get to relate with that name is the 'claquettes'.

'Claquettes' is a word in French that is related to the tap dance technique. It was indeed very popular in the 1950s, but even though it was practiced in Europe, its home was the United States of America.

The claquettes' dance uses the sound of the tap of the shoes, hitting the floor as a percussive instrument. It is related to the culture of Afro-American jazz and Broadway.

Fred Astaire, a famous American dancer and actor, made tap dance and the claquettes' technique very famous because he incorporated it into films. You can have a glimpse of his work here:

I hope this answers your question. Still, if I ever hear of something else that might fit your question better, I will post it here in a new entry.

Warm regards,


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Dance Questions About Technique.

Enjoy this page? You can pay it forward easily. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.


The Dance Thinker is our occasional E-zine. Fill in the form below to receive it for free and join us.


"The Dance Thinker"

Post contemporary dance announcements (workshops, auditions, performances, meetings and important news... it is free.)