Our largest resource with original articles about dance is located in our e-zine archive (‘The Dance Thinker’ back issues page). Other articles that have not been shared through the e-zine can be found right here.
Our articles about dance are in English, as well as in French and Spanish. I’ll be providing their translations to English in time. If you wish to share an article at contemporary-dance.org, feel free to use any of those three languages.
Important: if your article is longer than what the submission form accepts, just include your e-mail address with your submission. I will send you a personal mail to which you can send the rest of the material to be posted.
- Deep in Dance by Luke Bradley (English) Abstract: I still feel like an outsider to the world of dance, having had only the minutest of contact with the art up until my early twenties, yet now it has somehow managed to become a quite significant part of my life, and this article is my take on the past, present and future of this joyous art form. The piece is split into three sections: the first is a short explanation of my background and relationship with dance, the second is a list of 100 or so of my favourite contemporary dance pieces with ''annotations'' and links to videos (plus a special in-depth focus on a particular butō troupe that is a favourite of mine), and the final section is an essay on potential ways to ''improve'' contemporary dance and the dance industry as a whole.
- Thoughts on Dance Improvisation by Louis Conrad (English)
- L'envie de désobéir by Maria Naranjo (Français) Description: Essay about the process of learning to dance.
- Labanotation by Maria Naranjo (English) Description: Definition of Labanotation and thoughts on its utility.
- El cuerpo y la danza de Ímago by Maria Naranjo (Español) Description: Essay about the idea of body and dance among the dancers of the contemporary dance company ÍMAGO.
- Émergence de la danse contemporaine à Medellin - Colombie by Maria Naranjo (Français) Description: History of contemporary dance in Medellín, Colombia, from 1984 to 1996.
Have A Great Contemporary Dance Article to Share? Have been thinking about this dance matter, without anybody to talk about it?
Click below to see articles from other visitors to this page...
BETTER NIAGARA ON A TIGHTROPE (thinking about choreography)
Written by Clive Barnes (no date). Never want to be a choreographer! Choose some relatively easy profession such as President of the United States, …
Finding the story and searching for a subtext; the accessibility of Contemporary Dance as a modern medium.
A brief look at my latest article. 1. Beginning. Information and the meaning of information is paramount in todays society. Whether it is …
Dancing in an Epidemic: The interplay of dance and AIDS in 1980’s America.
1. Introduction For many years there has been a consistent association between gay men and dance. Following the decrease in ‘masculine’ work after …
DANZA CONTEMPORANEA EN EL MUNDO HOY (in Spanish)
La danza contemporánea en el mundo hoy no es de unos pocos, ni está regida por estéticas o fuentes de expresión como: bodyart, performance, actionpainting, …
Degas visto por una bailarina (Español)
Dos mujeres desnudas, dos salones de baño habitados, dos situaciones cotidianas similares. Sin embargo, dos posturas corporales antagónicas. ¿Cuáles son, …
There is also at least one original article in every issue of our e-zine. If you are not subscribed yet, you can read them at THE DANCE THINKER back issues archive.